More Players for MGO2?

Discuss Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4) and our server.
Helios

More Players for MGO2?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Hey Everyone! You may have seen me in game recently & I just want to further congratulate the Mgo2 revival team on doing a FANTASTIC JOB of bringing back MGO2.

Due to the competitive nature and high skill curve in this game. I can feel that this game can become just as competitive as any other modern game but it just lacks the player support. What else can we as the players do to raise more awareness about this hidden gem of a game and recruit more players to play?
SONOMAMASHINE

Re: More Players for MGO2?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:15 pm

you cant ! this game is scary and racist, trash talk, crying every single kill, laggy, buggy, getting kicked because everybody ass licking some buddy... you know how it goes
and wait for the score board ranking systeme, dominant clans for the score sheet = life
for some ppl MGO = LIFE so ...
KidBilly

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 pm

I think these are our challenges:
  • The game isn't playable on next-gen consoles, and probably never will be. Unless PS3 emulators advance enough.
  • Most people don't want to go through a setup, even an easy one, to play something. I think people would rather download from the PS Store or use a disc.
  • As you said, the learning curve is huge. The game is so heavily skill based and the player base is currently full of 8-10 year veterans. New players might have a bad experience.
These challenges are very difficult or impossible to overcome. I think we'll probably have to live with what we've got. MGO player base will never see a substantial growth. It'll remain how it is and slowly become 0. Then, whoever is in charge of the server will move on to other things and MGO will truly be nothing but a beautiful memory we'll hold for the rest of our lives.

There's the terribly sad reality.
Junkhead_

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Get in contact with anyone you know who used to play, lowkey advertise it on certain other gaming community related forums (any Metal Gear forum or reddit basically. Or lowkey advertise it in some active PC fighter / shooter games, always bound to be someone who remembers mgo2.

Maybe more fan made promo video's on youtube with more tags, people with a well established youtube following (100+ subs, 70k+ video views, small example.) and uniqueness / personalization added to the video's. So they aren't just like every other mgo2 mgo2r vid on the tube.

P.S. Thanks so much GHz for allowing me to have the privilege back of using the Forum. I appreciate it a lot. You were the only one to help a nigga out. Wish I knew who you were in game so I could make you have a good lol @ me in some tsne and res. Peace && Respect bud.
~D.B.A.~
Batmantis-
Completely Undisclosed 2nd business name
Completely Undisclosed 3rd business name
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Helios wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Hey Everyone! You may have seen me in game recently & I just want to further congratulate the Mgo2 revival team on doing a FANTASTIC JOB of bringing back MGO2.

Due to the competitive nature and high skill curve in this game. I can feel that this game can become just as competitive as any other modern game but it just lacks the player support. What else can we as the players do to raise more awareness about this hidden gem of a game and recruit more players to play?
I don't think it can be nearly as competitive as games these days, sadly. I'd love for it too, but there are a lot of problems (probably talking about the same stuff as KidBilly):
  • This is a very niche game, it was really only very popular in Japan. There was never any real sort of advertising behind the game (pretty much the same with MGO3).
  • The skill curve is pretty high, there are a lot of different things you have to learn about in order to not get your ass handed to you.
  • It takes some effort to be able to play... I've tried to make it simple with the OFW release, but some people don't even want to give up their other game data. Even then, it isn't on any other console.
  • There are numerous, unfixed issues with the core game. Terrible lag side-effects, teleporting, vamp glitch, terrible framerate, etc... but the general lag stuff is what really ruins the game.
I really believe that the only way MGO2 will really live on is if someone makes a new, fresh game based off of the core game. This is happening, but it might be a while until it will see the light of day.
If these core issues can be fixed, IMO it will immediately be a more enjoyable experience.
At the moment (and I'm not sure if the time will ever really come), we can't really add any new content. We can hack some maps together, change some gear textures, but we will probably never be able to reach the flexibility that we'd be able to if we had the game's source code (which isn't going to happen). IMO it's more worth making a new game as opposed to spending hundreds of hours trying to figure out small details about this game.

That said, I'm not giving up on the game or anything. It will stick around. I'm trying to add some of the key features that are still missing. I will be working on growing the community and bringing more awareness to the game (mainly through YouTube). But the game will only ever be so popular.
tigerchitpile

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 am

GHzGangster wrote:
I really believe that the only way MGO2 will really live on is if someone makes a new, fresh game based off of the core game. This is happening, but it might be a while until it will see the light of day.
This is happening? What's the project called?
KidBilly

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:11 pm

GHzGangster wrote:
We can hack some maps together, change some gear textures, but we will probably never be able to reach the flexibility that we'd be able to if we had the game's source code (which isn't going to happen). IMO it's more worth making a new game as opposed to spending hundreds of hours trying to figure out small details about this game.
This part is really unfortunate. I can imagine how difficult it could be to understand even the most mundane of details trying to sift through some assembly.

And, I imagine that Konami owns the source code for the game and it's never been released on the public domain. And never will be. Meaning, the only way for us to get it is for them to give it to us.

In my opinion, the only way for this game to truly have a second life is for Konami to re-release it, which again, probably won't happen at all.

Have you personally had any contact with Konami at all since starting this project? I wonder if they're aware of us.
Junkhead_

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm

The last few months were the most alive mgo2 has been in years, for some players it was a proper farewell, for other's a tout back in the pond. Get in contact with old colleagues who used to play back in the day, likely they still got ps3's and don't mind finding or rebuying mgs4. It's seriously like playing with people who are from hell, but im from hell too and i enjoy it. At least konami is giving away mgsv, probably will make make mgo3 a bit active again on ps4. :?
~D.B.A.~
Batmantis-
Completely Undisclosed 2nd business name
Completely Undisclosed 3rd business name
tigerchitpile

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 am

Any CFW users know what the player count was before OFW release?

Return to “MGO2 Discussion”