Server location?

Discuss Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4) and our server.
Reunion_Reunion

Server location?

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm

So, a little bit of background:
Spoiler:
MGS4 and MGO2 are some of my favourite games of all time. I'd definitely say MGS4 is the best MGS game, and by extension the best game ever made. MGO2 is definitely the best MGO. So ever since I found this project, I've been looking for lots of ways to play.

Apparently, the emulator is not available yet. At this rate, I don't expect it to ever be - since it opens the floodgates on hackers (memory hacks are probably not detectable). At first, I advocated it's development, since it would really expand the community - or at least game accessibility. Now, I think it should be left to the dedicated fans.

That just leaves me with getting another hacked ps3. Which, I'm going to do. Kind of expensive ($240) but. I have to play this again. The community looks very dedicated for the size. And honestly, I hope after some time playing, getting to the know everyone, I can help out on the development or possibly hosting side of things. My knowledge is kind of limited - but I used to work a little on modding games in the past and have some C# scripting knowledge, as well as networking knowledge.
But that's neither here nor there.

My real question is: Where are the servers located? I'm central US - so if this is all EU - well. I expect my ping is going to be pretty bad on my potato connection (1mbps down max). I definitely don't want to start playing, only to be banned for lagging - or be unable to play period due to bad connection.

Also, under the server list I saw a distinct lack of the old-style "fun" servers. Of course, TDM and TSNE are both blasts. But what about old-school "game modes/types" like knife only, or heroes? Does that kind of thing ever get hosted?

Honestly, I never got to the top echelons of the MGO2 community when it was live. But I played it relentlessly and had a blast. I hope to do the same again now, so long as I don't get banned for sucking the first few weeks! :P :lol:
Derrik ∞ GHz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server location?

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm

Reunion_Reunion wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm
So, a little bit of background:
Spoiler:
MGS4 and MGO2 are some of my favourite games of all time. I'd definitely say MGS4 is the best MGS game, and by extension the best game ever made. MGO2 is definitely the best MGO. So ever since I found this project, I've been looking for lots of ways to play.

Apparently, the emulator is not available yet. At this rate, I don't expect it to ever be - since it opens the floodgates on hackers (memory hacks are probably not detectable). At first, I advocated it's development, since it would really expand the community - or at least game accessibility. Now, I think it should be left to the dedicated fans.

That just leaves me with getting another hacked ps3. Which, I'm going to do. Kind of expensive ($240) but. I have to play this again. The community looks very dedicated for the size. And honestly, I hope after some time playing, getting to the know everyone, I can help out on the development or possibly hosting side of things. My knowledge is kind of limited - but I used to work a little on modding games in the past and have some C# scripting knowledge, as well as networking knowledge.
But that's neither here nor there.

My real question is: Where are the servers located? I'm central US - so if this is all EU - well. I expect my ping is going to be pretty bad on my potato connection (1mbps down max). I definitely don't want to start playing, only to be banned for lagging - or be unable to play period due to bad connection.

Also, under the server list I saw a distinct lack of the old-style "fun" servers. Of course, TDM and TSNE are both blasts. But what about old-school "game modes/types" like knife only, or heroes? Does that kind of thing ever get hosted?

Honestly, I never got to the top echelons of the MGO2 community when it was live. But I played it relentlessly and had a blast. I hope to do the same again now, so long as I don't get banned for sucking the first few weeks! :P :lol:
The MGO2 server is hosted in Canada. But that only really affects your experience in the lobby, not ingame. The game is peer-to-peer, so what matters is your connection between the host and other players. You're not going to be banned unless you're actually cheating or your connection is so awful that it looks like you're cheating.
Those "fun" rooms don't get hosted very often.

Return to “MGO2 Discussion”