MGO2 Development Discussion .v2

Discuss Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4) and our server.
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:05 am

The old development thread (2013-2014): https://savemgo.com/forums-old/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=425

A new thread after around 3 years...
Figure this is a good way to start discussing the smaller updates in more detail, and the progress that's coming along.
Feel free to talk about anything related to what I'm talking about in here as well.

Updates

April 7, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2141#p2141
April 12, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2199#p2199
April 17, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2246#p2246
April 20, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2320#p2320
April 25, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2413#p2413
May 9, 2017: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307&p=2646#p2646
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:21 am

1.36 is still coming along. Just haven't had as much time as I wish I did.

Lately I've been working on the new launcher. I've got a pretty good base now. The UI and interaction is sorted out for the most part.

Now I need to implement most of the functionality. From now on, the launcher will check for updates beforehand, and update if necessary. There will no longer be any hardcoded FW version restrictions, it will all be based on what the latest Cobra has support for. In addition, Cobra will be supported, and actually required since I'm changing up how I'm modifying the game. After release, I'll work on getting some easy modding support, like just dropping new songs in a folder. Of course, game region switching as well. At first, it's just going to be within the launcher, because that's the easiest, and quickest way I can do it. Later on, I'd like to have it be more of a "regionless" thing.

After I get updates working, I'll need to be able to reinstall the game again, properly this time. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of the "Game Data is corrupted" crap. This might take some work to get right, but the nice thing about the CFW version, is that I can update it later on if I need to.

Then, it's just a matter of linking your SaveMGO account to the PS3. Not hard at all.

The launcher will be a bit more responsive now as well, it will actually register a button press more reliably. Looks pretty slick too. I'll try and post a video, or a few pictures soon.

OFW files are almost sorted out right now, but I'm going to still release that at the last second pretty much, because you basically won't be able to update. Not yet, at least.

Haven't worked on the site stuff in like 2 weeks or so, at least it's felt like that. It's pretty solid so far. At this point, it really just needs to be integrated with the game. After that, I need to be able to migrate users over to the new system without too much interaction. Need to finish up the password reset stuff as well, so you won't need me if you lose your account or anything.

Server definitely needs work still. Haven't touched it in a while either. I'll see when I get there.

Song of the Day
XxAsunaxX

Re: MGO2 Development Discussion .v2

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 am

1.36 is coming along smoothly, that's good to know :).
Keep up the good work ( just don't overwork yourself ;) ).
D3V14NT13

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:39 am

Spoiler:
GHzGangster wrote:1.36 is still coming along. Just haven't had as much time as I wish I did.

Lately I've been working on the new launcher. I've got a pretty good base now. The UI and interaction is sorted out for the most part.

Now I need to implement most of the functionality. From now on, the launcher will check for updates beforehand, and update if necessary. There will no longer be any hardcoded FW version restrictions, it will all be based on what the latest Cobra has support for. In addition, Cobra will be supported, and actually required since I'm changing up how I'm modifying the game. After release, I'll work on getting some easy modding support, like just dropping new songs in a folder. Of course, game region switching as well. At first, it's just going to be within the launcher, because that's the easiest, and quickest way I can do it. Later on, I'd like to have it be more of a "regionless" thing.

After I get updates working, I'll need to be able to reinstall the game again, properly this time. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of the "Game Data is corrupted" crap. This might take some work to get right, but the nice thing about the CFW version, is that I can update it later on if I need to.

Then, it's just a matter of linking your SaveMGO account to the PS3. Not hard at all.

The launcher will be a bit more responsive now as well, it will actually register a button press more reliably. Looks pretty slick too. I'll try and post a video, or a few pictures soon.

OFW files are almost sorted out right now, but I'm going to still release that at the last second pretty much, because you basically won't be able to update. Not yet, at least.

Haven't worked on the site stuff in like 2 weeks or so, at least it's felt like that. It's pretty solid so far. At this point, it really just needs to be integrated with the game. After that, I need to be able to migrate users over to the new system without too much interaction. Need to finish up the password reset stuff as well, so you won't need me if you lose your account or anything.

Server definitely needs work still. Haven't touched it in a while either. I'll see when I get there.

Song of the Day
If OFW installs will be unable to update, how detrimental will this be? What are the consequences of this? Would they not be able to repeat the method of the initial installation to update it?
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 am

D3V14NT13 wrote:If OFW installs will be unable to update, how detrimental will this be? What are the consequences of this? Would they not be able to repeat the method of the initial installation to update it?
They can "update", but you would have to go through the whole restoration process again, which I personally think would be a real pain in the ass.
That's why I want to get everything right for OFW the first time.
Because of this, we can't do any sort of temporary updates like custom map swaps, or anything like that. Not without figuring out the in-game update system first.
Besides this though, I don't think it's an issue really. As long as the game functions.
*-Jeffer*-

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 am

Go go go ... You are a really pro ;)
mgoJALEN

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:53 am

Firstly I'd like to give a huge thanks to you GHz & everyone else who's worked on keeping this game alive! I'm excited for my OFW friends to hop on when the update drops.
You're planning on bringing back stats right? Are they going to be separate for each character, or will they be for our overall account like levels currently are? Also will other Personal Data options (Friend List, Player Search, etc.) or in game clan menus ever be made fully functional in the future?
xZistance-

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 pm

OFW April ? May ? June ?

Good Jobs.
SONOMAMASHINE

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 pm

xZistance- wrote:OFW April ? May ? June ?

Good Jobs.
it dosent matter (he does have a life besides this), as long as everything work properly, take your time
a lot of people are thankful just the work and TIME that you guys put on this. good luck
anata wa (ghz) iiii hito desu
Danne Snee

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:57 pm

xZistance- wrote:OFW April ? May ? June ?
Exactly.
Would be nice to get a release window.
Most of us have no experience with the kind of work you're doing.
So it's not like one can read your post and go "Okay, early May then"...

Return to “MGO2 Discussion”