Site and server news.
DNS: 192.3.217.61 / 192.3.217.162
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Going Open Source

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:52 am

Hey guys,

I decided to start re-writing the core server code for MGO2. I've learned a lot since (kinda disappointed in my old self), and I wanted to improve the server in general, since the current server is complete spaghetti.

I also want to give other people the chance to contribute to the server, this will open it up a lot.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to allow people to run their own servers on their own network for testing. They will stay separate from the main server, so people won't be able to cheat on the server and have their changes flow over.

This will allow people to run their own instances for debugging the server, and to test custom maps without needing to worry about bad things happening (this would be much later down the line, though).

If you're interested in contributing, or just want to check it out:
https://github.com/GHzGangster/Nomad

There will be more tools and stuff to come as well, stay tuned!
Mollic

Re: Going Open Source

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 am

this is probably the best thing that could have happened to save mgo
TinLeaf

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:27 am

This is exciting news!
I look forward to playing with the netcode myself.
I want to see if it can be streamlined and upgraded to make full use of PS3's hardware with modern networking so we can run global games with less lag.
I have other ideas too, but that's my fave right now. Thanks for all you've done and all you're doing! Hope all goes well. I do have one concern: Do you worry some fool might try to run a competing server, sapping some of our populace? It seems like the dumbest thing one might choose to do, but I've seen a lot of that sort of cluelessness amongst some who've come and gone in the savemgo sever.
I worry about people like that one infamously self-destructive hacker taking advantage of open source, too.
president trump
Ex-Staff

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm

TinLeaf wrote:I do have one concern: Do you worry some fool might try to run a competing server, sapping some of our populace? It seems like the dumbest thing one might choose to do, but I've seen a lot of that sort of cluelessness amongst some who've come and gone in the savemgo sever.
I worry about people like that one infamously self-destructive hacker taking advantage of open source, too.
I used to have that concern as well, but in reality there wouldn't be much point in them doing that. A competing server could offer nothing more than ours, and it wouldn't have GhzGangster or moi, zee gloriousss President Trump. Besides, there's a lot more work going on behind the scenes, and everyone's already set up and registered here. I doubt anyone would care to go through the trouble to change their set-up to play on an alternative server with, at the very least, less players.
I've resigned. I am no longer involved with SaveMGO.
TinLeaf

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm

president trump wrote:
TinLeaf wrote:I do have one concern: Do you worry some fool might try to run a competing server, sapping some of our populace? It seems like the dumbest thing one might choose to do, but I've seen a lot of that sort of cluelessness amongst some who've come and gone in the savemgo sever.
I used to have that concern as well, but in reality there wouldn't be much point in them doing that. A competing server could offer nothing more than ours, and it wouldn't have GhzGangster or moi, zee gloriousss President Trump. Besides, there's a lot more work going on behind the scenes, and everyone's already set up and registered here. I doubt anyone would care to go through the trouble to change their set-up to play on an alternative server with, at the very least, less players.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but it seems any time I presume nobody would be dumb enough to do [dumb thing here] someone proves me wrong, derping as hard as they can all the way to the finish line with their stupid ideas. However, I'm excited to see the next wave of changes and I'm cautiously optimistic about going open source. That might give us a lot of new options for altering what we've got so far.

Return to “News”