MGS4 hayters/ MGS5 defenders (spoilers)

A place to discuss any Metal Gear games, please avoid or at least warn about spoilers.
MobiusOne

MGS4 hayters/ MGS5 defenders (spoilers)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 am

Okay how do I start this off. MGS5 was an extremely huge dissapointment. Everyone seems to agree the story sucks but the Gameplay is great. This includes me. The story was a mess that felt like it was tacked on the last week of production. Theres no flow between cutscene and gameplay. Non likable characters with the exception of Kaz. Shitty twist that adds nothing but inconsistencies to the overall story of Metal Gear. A missed opportunity of an antagonist. Lack of bossfights ( And don't tell me the skulls were bossfights ) Everything thats a staple of the Metal Gear Series is wiped out from under you. Leaving you with a normal open world game ( which is a good open world but thats not what I wanted ) The charm of Metal Gear seems to be nonexistent in MGS5. The heart of it isn't there. I think this is because Kojima just wanted to leave already.

MGS5's largest problem is its completely unessary twist. You make me care about this character Big Boss from MGS3 who we loved, but knew eventually had to become a monster. Ground Zeros was a great set up. We see a man we love have everything taken away from him. His path to darkness has started. But instead of seeing what happens to him we play as a completely different character VENOM. Whaaat? I wanted to see what happened to Big Boss not a fucking double that we have zero sympathy with. Where are my favorite characters from MGS1 , Grey Fox, Sniper Wolf, Liquid Snake. who are said also to cross paths with Big Boss. Where is the link of characters from the old to the new? Instead we get an ambigious "He left us, hes already an asshole" That is such a lame attempt to villify Big Boss. Where's the soul of the character? Its not there. We dont see what happens?, who he meets?, wheres his turning point? Instead we get Kojima saying symbolically Thank You. You are Big Boss. Which would be fine if MGS4 wasn't already the biggest love letter and thank you any creator can give to the fans. Speaking of MGS4

Now we got the MGS4 hayters/ MGS5 lovers. Their main argument of hating MGS4 is Long cutscenes or overbloated storytelling, But yet their other main argument of defending MGS5 is a "DEEPER" meaning which you fail to understand on how it secretly only makes sense if you actually studied the LORE. I dont know about you but MGS4 needs a lot of understanding more than MGS5. You need to be paying ATTENTION. Geting every detail, understanding of the prior games to take it all in. It is a game specificaly designed to be enjoyed by its fans, no one else. MGS5 has none of that. A game designed for a 'Casual" or "Newbie" So it boils down to the MGS5 lovers superiority complex. They act like their better than you for being "SMARTER" and understand MGS5's supposedly deeper meaning wheras there actually isn't one at all.They call MGS4 cutscenes "spoon fed" except they fail to actually analyse MGS4. Their engrossed by whats not being said as opposed to what actually is. They keep looking for answers in MGS5's story where the beginning quote is literally "Facts don't exist" The whole game is based on perception . There are no answers
Polaris

Re: MGS4 hayters/ MGS5 defenders (spoilers)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm

I like both for different reasons.
MobiusOne

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I just felt like it was an unnecessary sequel that we didn't need. But when the time came around I was on board only to jump ship afterwards. Fun game though
Bismarck

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

MGS5 had some very good moments in it, and I think the backlash would have been much less if it wasn't a Metal Gear game. It has great gameplay but it's just missing so much. Ground Zeroes had a better story and atmosphere than the Phantom Pain. I think the "twist" wouldn't have been so jarring if it happened at the beginning of the game, like with Raiden in MGS2, instead of waiting till the end. At least that way you would have been able to bond and empathize with this new character instead of the game just suddenly ending with it.
Romulus2000

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Both games were shit.
MobiusOne

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Romulus2000 wrote:
Both games were shit.
( COUGH ) SNAKE EATER FANBOY ( COUGH ) .
MobiusOne

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Bismarck wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm
MGS5 had some very good moments in it, and I think the backlash would have been much less if it wasn't a Metal Gear game. It has great gameplay but it's just missing so much. Ground Zeroes had a better story and atmosphere than the Phantom Pain. I think the "twist" wouldn't have been so jarring if it happened at the beginning of the game, like with Raiden in MGS2, instead of waiting till the end. At least that way you would have been able to bond and empathize with this new character instead of the game just suddenly ending with it.
I know what you mean. Also MGS4 had its problems with its weird Zero twist and somewhat WTF moments. But the good outweighed the bad. When it ended you felt satisfaction. MGS5 just felt like their wasn't payoff. But most can argue which MGS is best from MGS 4 to 3. Personaly i feel like MGS1 is the most well rounded, storywise and whats its trying to be. MGS 4 makes me giddy and for some reason the most nostalgic. MGS3 i played first, the most, and beat the most. MGS2 ( i played the Tanker way too much ). Iv played all theses games and i look past all their flaws. But 5 just doesn't live up to any other MGS title. This time The bad outweighed the good for once.
Romulus2000

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 pm

MobiusOne wrote:
Romulus2000 wrote:
Both games were shit.
So from one statement you were able to come to that erroneous conclusion? You're a bright one.
MobiusOne

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 am

Romulus2000 wrote:
MobiusOne wrote:
Romulus2000 wrote:
Both games were shit.
So from one statement you were able to come to that erroneous conclusion? You're a bright one.
That was clearly a joke comment. And if the games are both shit. What the fuck are you doing on this website . Saying the game is shit includes the multiplayer.
Romulus2000

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 am

MobiusOne wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 am
Romulus2000 wrote:
MobiusOne wrote:

That was clearly a joke comment. And if the games are both shit. What the fuck are you doing on this website . Saying the game is shit includes the multiplayer.

They were. Not my fault you like lackluster games.
I'm on this site to participate in MGO. Where do you see "SaveMGS4?"

You don't see people here referring to MGO as MGS4, do you, genius?

Fuck outta here.

Return to “Shadow Moses”