PS3 HDD change and MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE folder

Ask for help, and find others with the same issue.
Senko115

PS3 HDD change and MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE folder

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 pm

[MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE inside a PS3 Folder]
So... I have done the tutorial about Downloading the MG02R OFW file (My Region) and it is extracted on my USB Flashdrive. And I also downloaded an PS3 update folder.

Meaning that both of MGO2R and PS3 UPDATE are in the same folder as "PS3" (Meaning I have one with "EXTRACT" and "UPDATE." inside the "PS3" folder) Can I still update my other HDD (Which I took from my shitty Laptop) with both MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE folder?

[PS3 HDD Change like a new PS3]
Since I have seen the OFW Tutorial and it does look easy... Now here comes the tough part.
the Backup Utility + Restore Part. I don't want to end up completely empty on my PS3.
But also inside the "Backup Utility" menu. Do I also have to Back Up all my data before changing to a new HDD?

I'm kinda really confused in these types of situations.
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PS3 HDD change and MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE folder

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Senko-115 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 pm
[MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE inside a PS3 Folder]
So... I have done the tutorial about Downloading the MG02R OFW file (My Region) and it is extracted on my USB Flashdrive. And I also downloaded an PS3 update folder.

Meaning that both of MGO2R and PS3 UPDATE are in the same folder as "PS3" (Meaning I have one with "EXTRACT" and "UPDATE." inside the "PS3" folder) Can I still update my other HDD (Which I took from my shitty Laptop) with both MGO2R OFW and PS3 UPDATE folder?

[PS3 HDD Change like a new PS3]
Since I have seen the OFW Tutorial and it does look easy... Now here comes the tough part.
the Backup Utility + Restore Part. I don't want to end up completely empty on my PS3.
But also inside the "Backup Utility" menu. Do I also have to Back Up all my data before changing to a new HDD?

I'm kinda really confused in these types of situations.
Until the new install method comes out (gonna be a while still), you need to format your PS3. This is done as part of the backup restoration process, the PS3 will do this for you.

Now, you can swap hard drives if you don't want to wipe your PS3. The first thing you should do is update to FW 4.82, if you aren't on there already. Then put your other hard drive in, and install FW 4.82 on that as well. At this point, you should be able to swap the drives. Depending on your PS3, you might have to reinstall the firmware every swap. Once you can swap the drives, then you can restore our custom backup on your other hard drive. After that, you should still be able to swap drives, and not lose your data. Then, you can just wait for the new install method, and at that point, install on the same drive.
Senko115

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Then... I think I gotta wait until then.

But I have checked that my PS3 with my standard HDD (Which I'm using) it is in VER 4.82

But when I'm gonna change my HDD. It will format to 4.82. (Since I downloaded it from PlayStation's site PS3 Systemsoftware)
Here is the question: Do I have to Back Up my data before I change to the other HDD? or Can I leave my data on my current HDD? (For Example: Just like switching a PS2 Memory Card to an other Memory Card.)
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 am

Senko-115 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 pm
Then... I think I gotta wait until then.

But I have checked that my PS3 with my standard HDD (Which I'm using) it is in VER 4.82

But when I'm gonna change my HDD. It will format to 4.82. (Since I downloaded it from PlayStation's site PS3 Systemsoftware)
Here is the question: Do I have to Back Up my data before I change to the other HDD? or Can I leave my data on my current HDD? (For Example: Just like switching a PS2 Memory Card to an other Memory Card.)
Your data doesn't get wiped when you swap drives. You have to reinstall the firmware on most PS3s because the firmware is partially stored on the hard drive. After reinstalling the firmware, your data will still be there.
president trump

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi there, you must be the guy I directed here from Youtube. Just to reiterate and expand a little on what Ghz already said, swapping HDDs, as long as they're running the same PS3 firmware version, will not cause any problems. I no longer play MGO2R with a jailbroken console and I just swap the HDDs whenever I need to.

However, it should be noted that if a new update comes out (such as 4.83) and you update your console on one HDD, when you insert the other HDD you will have to update it with a USB stick again via the recovery menu. The recovery menu is the black and white menu which loads automatically when there is a firmware discrepancy, new HDD, or other system problem. It's annoying, but do not be concerned if that happens.
I've resigned. I am no longer involved with SaveMGO.
Senko115

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Yup that is me "Sen-115" on YouTube.
(Sorry if I ask too many questions.)

Since you mentioned "Swapping the HDDs whenever in need or wanting to change."

For example: Like a PS2 Memory Card or logging in a site while having two accounts.
BEFORE:
Current HDD (PS3's standard) --> New HDD (Not formatted but then Formatted)

AFTER:
New HDD (Like a new fresh PS3) --> Old HDD (Which PS3 came with like a new console)

Will these two HDD be recognized upon switching? or do you have to do the update again on your current one? (If you feel like you want to go back to your current one.)

[Just to be sure so I don't end up after feeling that I want to go back to my old HDD and not having to do the whole Update process.]
SuperSaiyanGAKO

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Senko-115 wrote:

For example: Like a PS2 Memory Card or logging in a site while having two accounts.
BEFORE:

AFTER:
New HDD (Like a new fresh PS3) --> Old HDD (Which PS3 came with like a new console)

Will these two HDD be recognized upon switching? or do you have to do the update again on your current one? (If you feel like you want to go back to your current one.)

[Just to be sure so I don't end up after feeling that I want to go back to my old HDD and not having to do the whole Update process.]
When you setup MGO on a separate HDD you will only be using that hard drive for MGO. If you want to access your old save files and game data, you have to put your old HDD back in, When you put your old HDD back in, everything should be as you left it (all save files, games, profiles, etc, will be there). The only thing you have to do is activate your system under "Account Management" > "System Activation". If there is a system firmware update in the future, both HDDs will need to be updated to it. So in a way, yes, once everything is setup properly on the second HDD, it is like swapping memory cards.
president trump

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Senko-115 wrote:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

You shouldn't have to reinstall PS3 firmwares for HDD swapping, I do the same thing and I don't have any problems.

Once you have MGO2R installed on the new HDD you could copy your game saves from the old HDD to a USB stick and put them on the new HDD. Then you just have to reinstall/download your games and you may not have to switch back to your old HDD at all. (Unless there's pictures, music, videos, or messages, you want saved, in which case you can copy them too, excluding messages).
I've resigned. I am no longer involved with SaveMGO.
Senko115

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Ah hah... Nice!

Well... Thanks Trump and SuperSaiyanGAKO
Going to be in MGO2R soon or later in a jiffy!

This is also going to be my first time being on MGO2R.

Last question and I will conclude this post:
About “Account Management” / “System Activation”

Activate my system on the other new HDD? Or just keep the system activated “ON” my current HDD when I’m changing to a new HDD?

I did get about “Activated the System” part on “Account Management” / “System Activation”

But which HDD? (HDD after being formatted?)
SuperSaiyanGAKO

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Senko-115 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Ah hah... Nice!

Well... Thanks Trump and SuperSaiyanGAKO
Going to be in MGO2R soon or later in a jiffy!

This is also going to be my first time being on MGO2R.

Last question and I will conclude this post:
About “Account Management” / “System Activation”

Activate my system on the other new HDD? Or just keep the system activated “ON” my current HDD when I’m changing to a new HDD?

I did get about “Activated the System” part on “Account Management” / “System Activation”

But which HDD? (HDD after being formatted?)
When you remove the HDD, the console will deactivate, so you need to do it every time you put your old HDD back in. If you don't activate your system, you won't be able to play any games you downloaded from PSN or use any video streaming services. Since the second HDD is presumably only going to be used for MGO, which is on a disc, you don't have to worry about activating the system on the second HDD.

Return to “MGO2 Support”