(dumb question) How do I actually access MGO from the main menu?!

Ask for help, and find others with the same issue.
Funkymintbro

(dumb question) How do I actually access MGO from the main menu?!

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:02 am

Hi, I've not touched Metal Gear Solid 4 ever since the servers for MGO2 went down. I did this because I was so hooked on the multiplayer that I decided the healthiest thing to do was to just cut that game from my life like a tumour, so that I wouldn't miss it as much. I only just found out about this whole revival effort by you guys (bravo btw).

The thing is...I've forgotten how to get onto the damn multiplayer part of the game. Like, I lost my old disc, so I just ordered a new one. I made sure it was one of the discs which contains the MGO files, as stated by this forum - I bought the Greatest Hits version. But I can't find the option to access it on the main menu anywhere. I've literally forgotten how to get onto MGO. Do I have to complete the campaign first? Is it actually there but I'm just being a moron? It's driving me insane! Someone help me out here!
Ferrot

Re: (dumb question) How do I actually access MGO from the main menu?!

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 am

Did you download the system restore file from this site and install onto your PS3 first? The option is on the main screen. If you do the 2.00 update when you put the game in it will take away the MGO option as the service has closed. If you’ve done all that it could be you have the wrong disc without the files on it.
Funkymintbro

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 am

Ferrot wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 am
Did you download the system restore file from this site and install onto your PS3 first? The option is on the main screen. If you do the 2.00 update when you put the game in it will take away the MGO option as the service has closed. If you’ve done all that it could be you have the wrong disc without the files on it.
No I haven't. The disc came in the post a couple hours ago, so I just popped it into my PS3. I didn't update anything (except for the firmware of the PS3). So I just need to download the restore file from the site and it will cause the MGO option to be there? Or is the fact that it's not there right now a sign that I've screwed myself over?
Ferrot

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:45 am

If you didn’t update mgs4 when you first started it and it’s not on the title screen it must be the wrong disc, unless you had it installed and updated still on your PS3 from when you had the game before
Funkymintbro

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:48 am

Ferrot wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:45 am
If you didn’t update mgs4 when you first started it and it’s not on the title screen it must be the wrong disc, unless you had it installed and updated still on your PS3 from when you had the game before
The latter could be true - I can't remember if I updated it back when I played the game before. If this is the case, then applying the restore file from this site should solve the problem right? If it doesn't, then the only explanation left is that I have the wrong disc. Correct?

Also, thank you for the reply.

EDIT: It didn't even ask me to update. That's probably a strong sign that I must have updated a long time ago when I had the old disc.
Ferrot

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:53 am

I think if it’s the wrong disc after mgo closed it won’t ask to update, Try the system restore with the savemgo file, then try the disc and see what happens. Just keep in mind it’s gonna wipe out everything on your PS3 that’s saved. Hope you get it working, can’t wait to meet you on there.
Funkymintbro

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 am

If it turns out to be the wrong disc, then I'll just give this one away as a birthday gift to a friend (her birthday is next Saturday haha) and buy a new one. Freakin' third party sellers on Amazon.

And likewise bro. It's been so long.
Funkymintbro

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Ferrot wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:53 am
I think if it’s the wrong disc after mgo closed it won’t ask to update, Try the system restore with the savemgo file, then try the disc and see what happens. Just keep in mind it’s gonna wipe out everything on your PS3 that’s saved. Hope you get it working, can’t wait to meet you on there.
Hey so I've applied the restore file. But now when I try to start the game it says "Thank you for playing METAL GEAR ONLINE. As the METAL GEAR ONLINE service has now finished, all associated installed data will be deleted."

Do I just ignore this and press OK?

EDIT: I used the XMB menu to check for update on the game, it said the latest version is installed. I'm guessing that's why this is happening? Damn it, how do I get rid of the update? I thought applying that restore file would have deleted everything.

ANOTHER EDIT: So I just checked the "format utility" option on the XMB menu. Turns out there's a quick format option and a full format option. The latter needing approximately 18 hours and 30 minutes. When I applied the restore file, the format process only took a couple of minutes so I'm guessing it was a "quick format". I suppose the full format will solve this issue.
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 am

Funkymintbro wrote:
Hey so I've applied the restore file. But now when I try to start the game it says "Thank you for playing METAL GEAR ONLINE. As the METAL GEAR ONLINE service has now finished, all associated installed data will be deleted."

EDIT: I used the XMB menu to check for update on the game, it said the latest version is installed. I'm guessing that's why this is happening? Damn it, how do I get rid of the update? I thought applying that restore file would have deleted everything.

ANOTHER EDIT: So I just checked the "format utility" option on the XMB menu. Turns out there's a quick format option and a full format option. The latter needing approximately 18 hours and 30 minutes. When I applied the restore file, the format process only took a couple of minutes so I'm guessing it was a "quick format". I suppose the full format will solve this issue.
If you get that message, then your disc is too new, sadly.
I would suggest looking for the first edition disc instead. Greatest Hits does work, but "Greatest Hits" 25th Anniversary doesn't work. For whatever reason, those two discs look exactly the same as well.
The format stuff doesn't really matter.
Funkymintbro

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 am

GHzGangster wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 am
Funkymintbro wrote:

If you get that message, then your disc is too new, sadly.
I would suggest looking for the first edition disc instead. Greatest Hits does work, but "Greatest Hits" 25th Anniversary doesn't work. For whatever reason, those two discs look exactly the same as well.
The format stuff doesn't really matter.
Oh damn really? This is incredibly annoying. Especially considering that nowhere on the cover does it say 25th Anniversary. Plus, the page I ordered it from Amazon showed a plain case (no red border), so I thought it was a different disc. Aaaaggghhh. I'm thinking since I've already bought a disc that essentially only offers the story mode, perhaps I should order the MGO Japan import? Plus that would be a safe bet right? i.e. there's no way I can end up getting another wrong disc, lol.

Return to “MGO2 Support”