Questions and Answers | General Information (Updated June 16th 2017)

Ask for help, and find others with the same issue.
president trump

Questions and Answers | General Information (Updated June 16th 2017)

Tue May 17, 2016 5:49 am

MGO2R Version 1.00 Multiplayer is no longer available.

MGO2R Version 1.34 Multiplayer is no longer available.

MGO2R Version 1.36 Multiplayer is now available!

Developer's Notes:

Version 1.00
Version 1.00 Multiplayer is working but has been discontinued for 1.34. Thank you to all the participants!

Version 1.34
Version 1.34 Multiplayer is working but has been discontinued for 1.36. Thank you to all the participants!

Version 1.36
Version 1.36 Multiplayer is fully operational! Server compatibility is in development.

MGO2R Launcher for 1.36
The MGO2R Launcher for 1.36 CFW can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=22&p=2896#p2896

Things to do:
Finish compatibility development for the new 1.36 server.
Complete server coding.
Fix stupid sign in error and other bugs.

Long Term Dev Plans:
Look into adding new content
Look into Survival/Tournament modes
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

What's needed?

Ultimate Starter Guide to MGO2R

A Playstation 3 console

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table of Contents
What is "SaveMGO"?
What is "MGO2R"?
What version of MGO2 is "MGO2R" currently using?
Is the server international?
Where is the server located?
Do I still need Custom Firmware (Jailbroken PS3) to play?
Can I use CEX CFW to play?
Can I use DEX CFW to play?
How do I play?
Where can I find bi-lingual MGO2R tutorials?
Who can help me with the setup?
Will my old account still work?
Who are the current SaveMGO administrators?
Who are the MGO2R developers?
How many players are there?
When is the best time of day to play?
Can you ban the cheaters?
How do I report cheaters?/al]
[al=19]How do I report server/launcher bugs?

Where can I find the rules of SaveMGO?
Where can I find videos of MGO2R?
Will there be Grade Points?
Will there be rewards?
Where can I find patch notes for the MGO2 versions?
Will Survival/Tournament come back?
What about DLC/expansions, Females, Uniques, Voices, etc?
When will MGO2R be finished?
What's the lag like on MGO2R?
Why can't I host a room?
Why can't I log in?
Can I donate to SaveMGO?
Is there other ways I can contribute to SaveMGO/MGO2R?
How can I become a MGO2R beta-tester?
How can I join the Dev Team?
Can I share MGO2R videos?
Can the in-game chat censor be bypassed?
What about the locked spectator camera in NA?
Can we mod gear/models/map's?
Can I name my character the name someone else had?
Can I download a copy of MGS4?
Can I play MGS4 using an emulator?
Misc. Terms & Jargon
What kind of cheating/hacking/glitching/modding is allowed?
How to view currently open rooms from PC or mobile?

#1) What is "SaveMGO"?
SaveMGO is the only community dedicated to the revival and maintenance of private servers for players around the world to continue playing Metal Gear Online (MGO1) and Metal Gear Online 2 (MGO2), from Metal Gear Solid 3 (MGS3) and Metal Gear Solid 4 (MGS4). Konami closed the original servers for these games in 2007 and 2012, respectively.

#2) What is "MGO2R"?
"MGO2R" is a term originally coined by president trump (now known as "president trump"), meaning the "Metal Gear Online 2 Revival". This helps define itself as it's own game, and to distinguish it from MGO1, MGO2, MGO3, and the other Metal Gear Solid (MGS) games.

#3) What version of MGO2 is "MGO2R" currently using?
MGO2R is using the original version 1.36, which was the final update Konami made to the game during it's original run. This means all maps, modes, characters, gears, skills, voices, items, and weapons are available as they were.

#4) Is the server international?
SaveMGO is proud to provide MGO2R on an international scale. We have players from nearly every country, including (but not limited to!): Canada, USA, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, China, Korea, Ireland, Mexico, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Russia, to name a few.

#5) Where is the server located?
The SaveMGO/MGO2R server is currently hosted in the USA. This does not affect the rooms hosted by MGO2R players.

#6) Do I still need Custom Firmware (Jailbroken PS3) to play?
No. After countless man hours dedicated to R&D, it is now possible to use ANY PS3 console to connect to MGO2R.

#7)Can I use CEX CFW to play?
Yes!

#8) Can I use DEX CFW to play?
Yes!

#9) How do I play?
If you're interested in participating in the MGO2Revival you will need a PS3 and access to computer, as well as a USB stick, and an original copy of METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS, one of which you would have been able to play MGO with in the past. You can find the most recent tutorials here: viewforum.php?f=22

#10) Where can I find bi-lingual MGO2R tutorials?
All current MGO2R tutorials can be found in the MGO2 Tutorial section, located here; viewforum.php?f=22

#11) Who can help me with the setup?
If you require help or have a question during the setup you can ask a question in the MGO2 Support section, or message one of our administrators directly.
GhzGangster: Contact via posting in the MGO2 Support section (preferred)
president trump: Contact via posting in the MGO2 Support section (preferred) | Skype: live:tonybarzini
Private messages, comments on YouTube or other sites, and e-mails, may not be responded to.

#12) Will my old account still work?
No. Data from the original server is not carried over, it is a complete fresh start. To create an in-game Game ID you will need to have a SaveMGO site account. The SaveMGO site account is the same account you use to post on these forums.

#13) Who are the current SaveMGO administrators?
GhzGangster
president trump
MrGame20 (inactive)

#14) Who are the MGO2R developers?
GhzGangster is currently the only developer directly involved with SaveMGO/MGO2R. Ghz is the mastermind behind the MGO2R project, and has spent years solely developing MGO2R to what it is now. Without him there is no MGO2R.

#15) How many players are there?
There are over 1500 jailbroken players registered to play prior to the server being opened to all consoles. Although the release making MGO2R available on all consoles is still pending, a recent poll indicated that over 2000 more additional players would be interested in joining MGO2R when available.

#16) When is the best time of day to play?
The best time of day to play will depend on your region. For a typical North America (NA) player example, there will be Japanese (JP) players on in the morning, European (EU) players online in the afternoon, and NA players themselves playing mostly in the late afternoon and evenings.

#17) Can you ban the cheaters?
Yes, absolutely we can! We have a zero tolerance policy for any sort of cheating.

#18) How do I report cheaters?
The easiest way you can report cheaters is by recording video/photo evidence and posting it in the MGO2 Discussion section. You can also report cheaters directly to president trump if you contact him on Skype at live:tonybarzini

#19) How do I report server/launcher bugs?
The easiest way you can report server/launcher bugs or any other problems is by posting in the MGO2 Discussion section. You can also report any problems you encounter directly to president trump if you contact him on Skype at live:tonybarzini

#20) Where can I find the rules of SaveMGO?
The administration expects players to use common sense when participating in forum discussion and in-game. This means not cheating or using any method to gain an unfair advantage, not intentionally impersonating other players, not specifically targeting a player or players for grief, hate speech, or threats of death and/or violence. Please report any and all events of such nature, including any cheaters or players bypassing the banning system.

#21) Where can I find videos of MGO2R?
You can find MGO2R videos on YouTube or in the MGO2R Media thread located here, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7

#22) Will there be Grade Points?
Grade Points (GP) may be added at a later date if R&D into Survival/Tournament is successful, or if an algorithm can be constructed based off of Free Battle stats and other variables.

#23) Will there be rewards?
All gear is currently available so there is no need for Reward Points at this time.

#24) Where can I find patch notes for the MGO2 versions?
A copy of the MGO2 version update patch notes can be found here, https://pastebin.com/KH1NEDLN

#25) Will Survival/Tournament come back?
As the R&D for MGO2R continues, we hope to someday restore this feature in the distant future. At present, everything else is of greater priority to the SaveMGO administration until a fully emulated server is completed.

#26) What about DLC/expansions, Females, Uniques, Voices, etc?
MGO2R is using the original version 1.36, which was the final update Konami made to the game during it's original run. This means all maps, modes, characters, gears, skills, voices, items, and weapons are available as they were.

#27) When will MGO2R be finished?
There is no end date for the development of MGO2R, and there are no plans for it to ever end.

#28) What's the lag like on MGO2R?
Many years have passed since the original run of MGO2. This means that players now have better connections and most no longer need to limit their connections. Despite this, connection lag is still determined by a multitude of factors, particularly the players internet connection and settings, the hosts internet connection and settings, the connection of players to and from the host, the host's upload speed, and the players upload speeds,

For the best experience, we recommend all players use a wired connection with their PS3 DMZ'd, and their MGO in-game network settings set to 512, or the highest they can use without experiencing issues.

#29) Why can't I host a room?
If you cannot host a room you most likely need to DMZ or portforward for your PS3. To DMZ or portforward you will need to log-in to your router and change your settings. If you're DMZ'ing, use your PS3 IP address. If you're portforwarding, use your PS3 IP address and portforward UDP/TCP 5730 (or whatever the port is you use in-game).

If you were able to host before and cannot host now, it's possible your PS3 is now getting a different internal IP address on your home network. We recommend you set your PS3 to use a static IP so your console always uses the IP address you've DMZ'd or portforwarded for.

#30) Why can't I log in?
If you're having difficult logging in, make sure you're using your SaveMGO site account. As of June 12th 2017 we switched to a new account system.

#31) Can I donate to SaveMGO?
SaveMGO does not accept donations.

#32) Is there other ways I can contribute to SaveMGO/MGO2R?
The most helpful way you can contribute to MGO2R is by participating and spreading the word to as many as possible. If you have any older file versions of MGO2 or packet captures, that would also be extremely useful.

#33) How can I become a MGO2R beta-tester?
If you have good experience with PS3s, MGO, or jailbroken consoles let us know and perhaps we can find you something to do, though typically the SaveMGO administration handles all the testing in-house.

#34) How can I join the Dev Team?
If you have significant knowledge of Java and/or the MGO2 files, GhzGangster would love to hear from you, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23

#35) Can I share MGO2R videos?
Yes! But please don't bother Konami with any content involving SaveMGO or MGO2R.

#36) Can the in-game chat censor be bypassed?
The in-game chat censor has been removed.

#37) What about the locked spectator camera in NA?
Currently the spectator camera in NA versions of MGS4 are still locked. This can be circumvented by using the EU or JP versions of MGS4, or simply by playing on a jailbroken console.

#38) Can we mod gear/models/map's?
SaveMGO does not currently provide tools for this.

#39) Can I name my character the name someone else had?
The SaveMGO administration takes player impersonations very seriously. Please do not purposefully take another player's name.

#40) Can I download a copy of MGS4?
Yes, it is possible, but no longer necessary.

Keep in mind, if you wish to play MGO2R without jailbreaking, the digital version of MGS4 will NOT work.

#41) Can I play MGS4 using an emulator?
No.

#42) Misc. Terms & Jargon
-Coming soon-

#43)What kind of cheating/hacking/glitching/modding is allowed?
None whatsoever.

#44)How to view currently open rooms from PC or mobile?
This feature was previous available at http://savemgo.com/mgo2/games.php

I've resigned. I am no longer involved with SaveMGO.

Return to “MGO2 Support”