Coolguy24's 22 Step MGO2R Install Walkthrough

Ask for help, and find others with the same issue.
coolguy24

Coolguy24's 22 Step MGO2R Install Walkthrough

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:11 am

So yesterday I finally picked up a custom PS3 because I came across MGO2R a few weeks ago, loved MGO, and wanted to play it again. Back when I had my original PS3 I am pretty sure it was just called like Custom Fireware 3.XX. I didn't know what cobra was, CEX or REX, and multiman looked way different. Rebug toolbox was unheard of. After running into pretty much every issue you could get...black screen with beep, failed to connect, etc, I wanted to put a guide out for how I got it to work for being a noob to this stuff. So here it goes...

First I recommend having Rebug 4.80 or 4.81 REX and not D-REX. With this launcher I guess D-REX can cause issues. I originally had 4.76 REX and had issues.

THE DOWNLOADS FOR MGO2 LAUNCHER AND THE 1.34 PATCH ARE LOCATED ON THIS SITE. THE CUSTOM FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD IS LOCATED ON REBUGS OFFICAL SITE. KEEP IN MIND YOU DOWNLOAD A TEXT FILE FROM REBUG THEN COPY THE LINK GIVEN IN THE TEXT FILE INTO YOUR URL BAR, HIT ENTER AND THE DOWNLOAD WILL START. SORRY FOR NOT PROVIDING LINKS AS I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT ONLINE FORUMS OR THE FORMATTING OF THEM

1.) On your PC follow the links to download these 3 files: MGO2 launcher .pkg file, MGO2 1.34 patch .pkg file, and either Rebug 4.80 REX or Rebug 4.81 REX. I DON'T RECOMMEND USING DREX AT ALL. I personally liked to create a folder called MGO on my desktop and put all the files inside there for ease of access to copy to the USB drive.

2.) Once all files are downloaded you want to rename the custom firmware file to "PS3UPDAT.PUP"with no quotes. Remember it is UPDAT, not UPDATE. No E.

3.) Plug in your USB flash drive and format it for fat32 if it is not already done

4.) Once formatted created a folder called PS3 inside the root of flash drive. Then inside the PS3 folder, create another folder called UPDATE.

5.) Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP file to the UPDATE folder you previously created on your flash drive.

6.) Now the other two files...Copy the MGO2 launcher and the MGO2 1.34 patch to the root of your flash drive where the PS3 folder is. The root of your flash drive should show the two files, and the PS3 folder.

7.) Let's install some Rebug firmware. Plug in your USB drive and head over to the settings tab and click system update. You get the option of doing it via internet or storage media. Storage media is the correct choice. It will preview what software you are gonna install after you click storage media then it will copy the software and bring you to the agreement screen. Keep going through the slides agree and install the software. Software will install then your PS3 will reboot.

8:) You should have Rebug Toolbox installed to be able to launch but if not you will have to download it from the Rebug website and also put that .pkg file on the root of your flash drive. Replug in the flash drive, then under the game tab in XMB choose package manager, install package, then select standard, then choose the Rebug Toolbox .pkg file. It will install. Can't remember if system reboots or not but I recommend a reboot if not.

9:) Now that it rebooted go under the game tab again and select Rebug Tool Box to run it. Once in Rebug tool box go to settings tab and under there go to the toggle cobra option. It should be disabled by default but it doesn't hurt to check. Go back to the first tab and choose quit Rebug and reboot system. Let the PS3 reboot on its own.

10:) Now starts the part where things get interesting. So after finally getting MGO2 to launch from the black screen and beeping problem, I was getting a failure to connect issue. These next steps is how I got past the issue. We are gonna set up the network first then install and set up MGO2R. So go to settings tab, then network settings, then select internet connection settings. You're going to run through this twice, but set it up different the second and final time.

11:) While in internet connection settings, select wired or wireless...whatever way your PS3 is hooked up. Press X. It will now ask you to select either easy or custom. Choose easy. Once it automatically provides the setting hit X to save it, then it should give you the option to test connection. Press X to test connection. You should pass the obtaining IP, and internet connection too. Depending on the CFW setup, psn and all the other features will fail but that doesn't matter. Only the first two passing does.

12:) Exit out using circle and go back into settings>and then network setting again. Now choose settings and connection status list. Write down or snap a photo that contains your IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway that is displayed. You will need those next.

13:) Exit back and go back into internet connection settings. Choose again whatever way your PS3 will hook up to the internet whether it is wired or wireless. But instead of choosing easy, select custom. For ethernet operation mode choose auto-detect. Next option will be IP address setting. Choose manual. It will ask you to put in an IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS 1 and DNS 2. Next step will be what to enter.

14:) For IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway you will enter the previous IP addresses you wrote down or took a photo of from the Settings and Connection Status List selection. But for DNS 1 you will enter 192.3.217.61 and for DNS 2 you will enter 192.3.217.162

15:) The rest of the setup for network goes as follows:

DHCP- Do not set

DNS setting- choose manual, but the
dns addresses you already entered during
IP address setting will be typed in already

MTU-Automatic

Proxy Server-Do not use

UPnP-Enable

16:) After typing all that in move on and press X to save the settings. Run a test connection. You are going to get as follows:

Obtain IP Address: Successful
Internet Connection: Failed

THIS IS NORMAL.

17:) Once your network is setup exit back to the normal XMB. With your USB drive plugged in, head back over to package manager, select it, then select install package, and choose standard again. Then choose the MGO2 Launcher .pkg file.
MAKE SURE THE MGO2 LAUNCHER YOU INSTALL IS THE JAN.22 RELEASE
After the install, exit out back to the XMB.

18:) DISC AUTO START SHOULD BE OFF. Insert your copy of MGS4. From what I've read, I believe the psn, legacy, and 25th year anniversary of MGS4 won't work. So you gotta use an original copy although I may be wrong. After it is inserted and pops up that it is in the system, choose the MGO2 launcher under the game tab. If everything is set right it should boot up and say Copying Files from Disc. Once completed it will tell you that you have to run version 1.00 and press X to exit. Press X and you will go back to the XMB.

19:) Start MGS4 and let the data install. Should take about 8-10 minutes. Once at the main menu select Metal Gear Online. Now MGO will build its own game data. Once you see the MGO menu screen where it says press start to continue, you can quit the game.

20:) BEFORE WE INSTALL THE VERSION 1.34 PATCH RELAUNCH THE MGO2 LAUNCHER. For some reason I had to create the game data for MGO from the MGS4 disc AND the MGO2 launcher before I could apply the patch. In the MGO2 launcher after the data builds quit out of the launcher once you see the MGO menu screen again.

21:) Head back over to Package Manager then choose install pack then select standard again and install the 1.34 patch to the system. Once completed, launch MGO2 using the launcher and most likely it will apply an update. After it applies it will ask you to create an account if you're new. Proceed to do so. Finally you will be able to get to MGO, press start and sign in using the login information you just made. You are going to get random error messages and stuff but ignore them. The game still works.

22:) Hopefully by now you are in the lobbying, and if you made it this far you should know what you're doing. Hop in the lobby and get in a game. ENOJY MGO!

Hopefully this guide will help out atleast one person who is having trouble getting MGO2R installed and setup to play. Any questions feel free to private message me. Although I have nowhere near the knowledge or skill set that GHzGanster, President Trump, or the other admins have, I can try my best. Last thing, thanks GHzGangter and the rest of the crew for running this server and allowing us to still play MGO

-Coolguy24
Apose

Re: Coolguy24's 22 Step MGO2R Install Walkthrough

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 am

im bout ready to destroy a couple walls in my house. I've been trying to get this shit to work for the longest time and i've just tried redoing this with your tutorial. I have disabled CCAPI, cobra/webman, and I literally converted from DEX to CEX 5 min ago to get this working. I have installed MGS4 data then go to MGO to install 1.00. After creating data i am at a black screen, cant get to the MGO start screen.
Apose

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 am

Also I am on 4.81.2 Rebug REX, not D-REX
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Apose wrote:Also I am on 4.81.2 Rebug REX, not D-REX
You're getting a black screen after you install the 1.00 data? Or after you install the 1.34 data and try to boot in?
itsnasho

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 pm

I recommend you follow the guide of MGO2R April 2015. You will only to download 2 Files and the MGO2R launcher of 2017. If your disc of MGS4 is damaged, can be a problem installing the 1.00 files. Here is the tutorial, you will only need to download 2 files and transfer it by Multiman or FileZilla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vElPeHr1J3I

When you transfer it, go to 'Recovery Mode' and select 'Rebuild Database'. Then replace the old launcher by the new one of 2017 and you're ready to go.
Visit my Twitter, developer of @TweakBox: twitter.com/ItsNash0
Apose

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

GHzGangster wrote:
You're getting a black screen after you install the 1.00 data? Or after you install the 1.34 data and try to boot in?
after I install the 1.00 game data
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Apose wrote:
GHzGangster wrote:
TRy using a different disc or backup.
Apose

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm

GHzGangster wrote:
Apose wrote:
GHzGangster wrote: You're getting a black screen after you install the 1.00 data? Or after you install the 1.34 data and try to boot in?
TRy using a different disc or backup.
im using the only MGS4 disc I have :( it is an original though.
I am fully restarting the whole process right now but I have downgraded to 4.80 Rebug REX
hopefully this works and I don't get black screened
itsnasho

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 am

I recommend you the tutorial that I share to you if you have more problems.
Visit my Twitter, developer of @TweakBox: twitter.com/ItsNash0
Apose

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 am

itsnasho wrote:I recommend you the tutorial that I share to you if you have more problems.
retried this for the #258320530945 time still get black screened.
link me whatever tutorial you're talking about

Return to “MGO2 Support”