Oh man, I want to play! [Help setting up thru emulator]

Ask for help, and find others with the same issue.
Reunion_Reunion

Oh man, I want to play! [Help setting up thru emulator]

Sat May 09, 2020 9:35 pm

Okay, so a quick little bit about me before I actually get into the meat of my problem:

I've played and beaten every main MGS title with the "Big Boss" title. This includes anything with "Metal Gear Solid" in the title (peace walker, ground zeroes, portable ops plus and MGSV obviously don't have these achievements, but I've 100% completed all of them). I've played every MGO installment with the exception of the new standalone title. Needless to say, I'm a big fan, and MGS4 is my favourite title.

I'm a computer programming and networking major (officially "cyber security"). I've been poking around with this emulator for a few weeks, getting MGS4 to run stably, manually compiling the PPU caches to the same end, etc. Your site has a nifty MGO installer that would be really convenient to me if I still had my hacked PS3, which was sadly ruined when someone very elderly tried to watch Netflix.

So now my problem:

The emu will run your CFW fine. However, I can't seem to jury-rig any kind of peripheral .pkg packages to get browser support to install your browser-only launcher. XMBPC PS3 has nothing but dead links (definitely got DCMA'd IMO though the feed does not mention this, can't even find mirrors, obscure links, or archives). If anyone has a working copy, this could really help me without bothering the devs for a little babysitting.

I'm hoping you guys could walk me through the system install process for the files and link me, that way I can finally play MGO again and hang out with what I'm guessing is probably the best community on the planet - to revive a dead installment of the franchise's most beloved multiplayer... just. Wow. I was really pissed when they shut it down, especially considering all the DLC I had. It was basically the only reason I had a non-hacked ps3.

[edit2] Obviously I'm assuming that your files simply modify the base MGO install server/dns lookup. I'm pretty sure I could accomplish this myself if I had the files. Obviously, if I get this working, I'll distribute the custom PC release with full credit to you and any other authors. I'll still need to compile the rest of the PPU's, patches and installation data though.

Currently, there are no supported mgo/mgs4 emulator-enabled hacks - hopefully such a release would not enable this. That's really going to depend on how client data is handled (server or client side) imo, though obviously injection is a much greater risk if a pc is involved. Way out of my league, just something to consider if you're worried about longterm (2-3 year) community stability.

Anyway, you guys are truly spectacular; I hope to be playing with you all very soon - with a little more help from the community, of course. Hopefully we can get this sorted out for future generations of players to enjoy on pc.

MGS4 users interested in emulation see bellow information:
Spoiler:
Benchtesting stability so far leads me to believe these would be MINIMUM system specs to RECOMMENDED system specs for running ~30-60 fps:

SPECIFICATIONS

___________ MININIMUM________RECOMENDED

GPU_______4-6 _________________8-10
Spoiler:
(1000mhz clock speed avg on 570x; crossfired 750mhz dual - underwatted to cap at 1300mhz to save liftetime in my case.)
CPU_______QUAD (6t)___________6-10*(12t)
Spoiler:
(thread count is most important here)
RAM_______12gbDDR4__________16GB DDR4
Spoiler:
(This really depends on the os you're running on. On windows you can expect random processes to eat ram unexpectedly if not killed from process tree, periodically dropping game performance. No issues on a clean install with no peripheral software and minimum specs - but sometimes caps mem usage from background services, resulting in small framedrop).
HDD______SSHD(USB3.0)_______SSHD
Spoiler:
(Slows PPU build time considerably since RPCS3 will cap at 10t usage MAX (very rare)
Other tips: Use OPENGL renderer, NOT VULCAN. Tinkering with occlusion will help smooth and help remove some artifacts.

With my rigs specs maxed (underwatting disabled - listed bellow) game runs consistently between 20-59 fps (definitely playable) with slower speeds towards the beginning as the ppu modules and shaders compile and nearly 0 artifacts. Some small rendering glitches that will not affect a seasoned player very much.

Stacks on about 15 seconds of load time between each cell (more on some very complex ones) as the game must also recognize these in the newly translated formatted.

Rigs tested on:
[*]Custom rig
[*]GPU 16gb (15.6 effective) (also tested w/ 8gb(7.8eff) 570x)
[*]CPU 12core 16 thread (also tested in 6 core 8 thread)
[*]RAM 16 GB (13.4 effective) (also tested in 8 gb - unplayable)
[*]SSHD 2TB (Clean)

OS's tested:

Ubuntu:
[*]Test time - mission 1
[*]Playable
[*]high framerate
[*]major artifacts.

Windows10:
[*]Test time: missions 1-3
[*]Playable
[*]good framerate with initial drops
[*]negligable artifacts.

Acer Laptop
[*]GPU 4gb (3.9~effective)
[*]RAM 12 GB (8 effective)
[*]CPU I7
[*]HD 1tb (stable - used)

OS's tested:

Ubuntu: unplayable

CentOS7: hangs on menu

windows 10:
[*]Test time: mission 1
[*]Playable
[*]medium framerate
[*]some artifacts
[*]high frame drop (15fps)
Windows 8: Unplayable
windows 7:
[*]Test time: missions 1-3
[*]Playable
[*]high framerate
[*]rare major artifacts
[*]medium frame drop (20fps)

BUILDS USED:
================================================
========https://github.com/rajkosto/rpcs3/releases======
================================================

Final build is most stable. Will need custom tweaking based on GPU/CPU. Will make a guide based on AMD at a later date if I can get MGO working (the one on the site really sucks).

Cheers! 8-)
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh man, I want to play! [Help setting up thru emulator]

Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 pm

playing on the emulator is not an option at this time.
Reunion_Reunion

Sun May 10, 2020 12:19 am

Three things:

One: Pretty prompt: "Not an option right now", which is something I gathered. Love the fast response. But why not? Not something you'd endorse, or just "not possible"?

Two: Again, gathered that, trying to make it an option best way I know how (Have you guys already tried this?)

Three: Are you guys working on this level of integration? I mean, just surprised a manual installer isn't available - I think that WOULD make it an option.
Derrik ∞ GHz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Asmodeusx wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:19 am
Three things:

One: Pretty prompt: "Not an option right now", which is something I gathered. Love the fast response. But why not? Not something you'd endorse, or just "not possible"?

Two: Again, gathered that, trying to make it an option best way I know how (Have you guys already tried this?)

Three: Are you guys working on this level of integration? I mean, just surprised a manual installer isn't available - I think that WOULD make it an option.
It works with some emulator-specific hacks on the game executable. I needed to create a different method for the emulator since the CFW method didn't work. It still needs a little bit of work to flesh the hacks out and share with the CFW version, as well as some server changes for the emulator.

Last time I checked, the game still had some transparency issues that would break modes like SNE, SDM, and TSNE. I wouldn't want people on emulator playing those modes, at least not with all the other console players. I haven't had time to really work on that stuff recently, or send RSX dumps to the emulator devs to try and get the issue resolved.

I do plan on trying to at least finish up the work I have to do, fairly soon. But I got a new job and there's still some other work I need to do on the game first.
Reunion_Reunion

Sat May 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Okay, well I'm SUPER glad to know you're working on it. Yes, I think running separate servers for rpcs3 releases would be a really good sollution - not sure if you'd be able to keep them/us off of regular PS3 servers. I have a small background in netcoding and programming, so if there's any way I can lend my services to this project let me know.

Return to “MGO2 Support”