Your Ping and How It Works

Discuss Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4) and our server.
Alkaris

Your Ping and How It Works

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 pm

To educate the kids who dont understand how your ping works in MGO and how that translates graphically to the 3 colored bars next to your name.

First want to say that it's not a 100% accurate representation of your actual ping. compared to seeing a number of your actual ping. 3 bars on your ping can be anywhere from 5-35 ms, 2 bars from 40-85ms, and 1 bar being anywhere from 90-300 ms.

Second thing to clear up is your ping does not make the entire server lag, people are always under the false impression that is the case, unless of course it's the host's connection thats causing the issues for everyone. There's a little thing called Round-trip time (RTT), also called round-trip delay, is the time required for a signal pulse or packet to travel from a specific source to a specific destination and back again. This is generally calculated from your ping, so if you just happen to have bad ping rate of 90-300 ms you will be lagged yourself by the time you perform certain actions in-game another player could of out manouvered you before you've seen them appear on your screen, a delay in all your actions. In short this is a data transfer rate from the source's Internet connection to your own.

Compare the differences between a 100 Mbp/s connection vs a 16 Mbp/s connection, the ping and RTT will be very different from one another, even if you are still in the same country as the person hosting, or from another country altogether. ie; If you're from Asia and you want to connect to European server you will have a huge difference in ping rate from somewhere around 100-300 ms and you'll be at a huge disadvantage compared to other players.

With MGO2 here, although it's revived and working, there are only 3 regional servers to connect to. Europe, Asia and North America. I have very limited options when connecting from a place like Australia, on average when I can only connect to overseas servers I'm looking at 100-300ms ping. On average for other games I've calculated I usually get around 25ms ping. In MGO2 I have to connect to either Asia or North America servers, depending on which are most busy and active, connecting to either of these my ping will be on average around 134-339ms, nothing that I can do to fix that obviously, and I am on fibre + copper connection, if it were 100% fibre connection I may have some slight improved ping and RTT cut in half in the amount of time it takes to send and recieve data in-game. -- So why doesn't my ISP not just go full fibre? It's a whole convoluded mess, and government backed thing, too much details to explain in simple few words, but the gist of it is they say it's too expensive to do, that and the dominant ISP provider(s) are too lazy to make huge improvements to the infrastructure and fix their shit properly.
SONOMAMASHINE

Re: Your Ping and How It Works

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Alkaris wrote:
To educate the kids who dont understand how your ping works in MGO and how that translates graphically to the 3 colored bars next to your name.

First want to say that it's not a 100% accurate representation of your actual ping. compared to seeing a number of your actual ping. 3 bars on your ping can be anywhere from 5-35 ms, 2 bars from 40-85ms, and 1 bar being anywhere from 90-300 ms.

Second thing to clear up is your ping does not make the entire server lag, people are always under the false impression that is the case, unless of course it's the host's connection thats causing the issues for everyone. There's a little thing called Round-trip time (RTT), also called round-trip delay, is the time required for a signal pulse or packet to travel from a specific source to a specific destination and back again. This is generally calculated from your ping, so if you just happen to have bad ping rate of 90-300 ms you will be lagged yourself by the time you perform certain actions in-game another player could of out manouvered you before you've seen them appear on your screen, a delay in all your actions. In short this is a data transfer rate from the source's Internet connection to your own.

Compare the differences between a 100 Mbp/s connection vs a 16 Mbp/s connection, the ping and RTT will be very different from one another, even if you are still in the same country as the person hosting, or from another country altogether. ie; If you're from Asia and you want to connect to European server you will have a huge difference in ping rate from somewhere around 100-300 ms and you'll be at a huge disadvantage compared to other players.

With MGO2 here, although it's revived and working, there are only 3 regional servers to connect to. Europe, Asia and North America. I have very limited options when connecting from a place like Australia, on average when I can only connect to overseas servers I'm looking at 100-300ms ping. On average for other games I've calculated I usually get around 25ms ping. In MGO2 I have to connect to either Asia or North America servers, depending on which are most busy and active, connecting to either of these my ping will be on average around 134-339ms, nothing that I can do to fix that obviously, and I am on fibre + copper connection, if it were 100% fibre connection I may have some slight improved ping and RTT cut in half in the amount of time it takes to send and recieve data in-game. -- So why doesn't my ISP not just go full fibre? It's a whole convoluded mess, and government backed thing, too much details to explain in simple few words, but the gist of it is they say it's too expensive to do, that and the dominant ISP provider(s) are too lazy to make huge improvements to the infrastructure and fix their shit properly.
thats BS !
3 bars : 0 - 99 ms
2 bars : 100 - 250 ms
1 bar : 250 - higher ms
--------------------------------------
i'm pretty sure MGO can be 3 bars 0 - 150 ms
and australia ping is drum roll brbrbrbrbrbrbr 1000 ms higher
Alkaris

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am

SONOMAMASHINE wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm

thats BS !
3 bars : 0 - 99 ms
2 bars : 100 - 250 ms
1 bar : 250 - higher ms
--------------------------------------
i'm pretty sure MGO can be 3 bars 0 - 150 ms
and australia ping is drum roll brbrbrbrbrbrbr 1000 ms higher
You simply do not understand networking at all here. That number 1000ms is not an actual logical ping output. Let me educate you since you don't quite seem to understand how Ping works and what your RTT (Round-Time-Trip) of your actual ping rate is. Like I said before the graphical ping shown in MGO2 is not 100% accurate, and what I wrote before is estimated ping rate you're most likely to get.

I'm gonna try break this down into something you can actually comprehend, since you're not the network savvy type who can figure out the actual ping rate.

So lets say for example you were to ping google.com it'll respond with the following:

Code: Select all

64 bytes from 172.217.25.142: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=26.2 ms
now to send 10 packets and you will get a better completion result estimate of your actual ping rate:

--- google.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 1806ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.605/26.341/26.741/0.353 ms
10 packets transmitted and 10 packets received back and it took a total of 1806 ms for the entire trip. Again this is just an estimate, not your actual ping here. What you should be looking at is the RTT section here.

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.605/26.341/26.741/0.353 ms
You have your minimum RTT which is 25ms, then you have average 26ms, and then max 26ms and mdev 0.353ms. Each time you ping a network it'll return different results each time, so take it with a grain of salt as your estimates. So in my case, when I pinged google.com I get RTT of 25ms as my minimum, which is my actual ping there.

Now I go to do the same and ping savemgo.com I will get a completely different result on what my actual ping rate is and I get the following;

--- savemgo.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 262.976/263.339/263.683/0.329 ms
again ignore the 3000ms that's not the true ping rate, that's the time it took to send and receive those data packets. focus on the RTT section. So in my test I get 262 ms as my ping minimum rate, in MGO2 that would translate to 1-2 bars approximately., that would be a considerable amount of lag on my end, not the server itself that is being hosted, therefore no effect on other players, except for the delay between each action in-game on who shot who first, a person with 25ms ping would have greater advantage over someone with 262ms ping.
SONOMAMASHINE

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

thanks for educating me i really appreciate it
like i said australia 1000 ms higher you got 3000ms , sending and receiving data is slow.
funny how i figure it out without education , i use fightcade and i see people pings an australia ping is crazy everyone complains about it they dont even play them , so now you trying to transfer all the bullying you endured your whole life and trying to apply it on me xD boy you ridiculous
Alkaris

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm

SONOMAMASHINE wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm
thanks for educating me i really appreciate it
like i said australia 1000 ms higher you got 3000ms , sending and receiving data is slow.
funny how i figure it out without education , i use fightcade and i see people pings an australia ping is crazy everyone complains about it they dont even play them , so now you trying to transfer all the bullying you endured your whole life and trying to apply it on me xD boy you ridiculous
Wow you are dense.... You make yourself look ridiculous. You almost had me there, but then you just made yourself look the idiot. 1000ms and 3000ms is not your true ping. You clearly have no education in networking at all. I do network management for a living so I know what I'm talking about.
SONOMAMASHINE

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm

i dont need an education in networking to know that australian ping is high , sending info take too long because of the distance , you got an education in networking good for you but i dont need one im giving you facts , now is it hard for you to understand that the distance make your ping high or is it personal ? 1000ms - 3000ms is not your ping im talking about the distance between you and the server or between you and the p2p guy you playing against that gonna make your ping 1000ms or higher (idiot)
PoteNoob

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:04 pm

There is almost no difference in gaming between 16 mbps and 100 mbps, ping is latency and it depends on data management and distance.
GHzGangster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Alkaris wrote:
Just to add to this:
There is only one main server for MGO2. It's hosted in Canada. The lobbies you see in-game are just different instances of the same process. That means North America, Europe, Japan, are all really connecting to Canada.
And to anyone wondering... no, it doesn't affect the "lag" in your room. It only affects some occasional actions like starting rounds, ending rounds, etc.

Return to “MGO2 Discussion”