Project Foxhound: Inspired By MGO2

Talk about our new, in-development game inspired by MGO2.
GHzGangster
Chameleon
Character: GHzGangster
Unit: Ocelot Unit

Project Foxhound: Inspired By MGO2

Postby GHzGangster » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:06 pm

To be clear, this project and Rough Edges are not the same project.
Project Foxhound is still in the planning stages, and will be done in Unity as of now.
Rough Edges is the Source implementation that has some real, tangible progress.

This thread is to discuss Project Foxhound, which is an effort by a larger team.

Note: This thread was split, some of the posts may seem a bit out of context.

------

As of right now, we're planning on this project being done in Unity 5.

We plan on first releasing the game on PC, with controller support and the like.
Once we're able to, we will start to release the game on consoles as well.

This game will be it's own IP. It will not be tied to anything specific to Metal Gear (like the characters, exact maps), other than the core gameplay and mechanics.
The reason for this is that, if we use Konami's IP, it's very likely that we will get shut down.
Hopefully we will be able to have some MGS easter eggs in the game though. ;)

------

I've been wanting to "remake" MGO2 for a while, it's more of a learning project, but there are some key reasons as to why I really want to do this:

There are a few things about MGO2 that really bug me, as I'm sure they bug you too... invisible grenades, grenade/box run desyncs, player desyncs, movement teleports, framerate drops, vamp glitch, actually being able to lagswitch, the ease of hacking... I'll probably think of some more later. There are way too many issues like this still present (for the most part) in the game.

This game isn't so easy to mod either. Sure, we've done a few things like modifying maps to other ones, replacing clothes, being able to replace music, but we haven't yet really been able to do it "properly" and add elements to the game. There is just so much stuff we simply don't know about the game, and it makes it really hard to get what we want done. The game code is enormous, it's heavily file-driven, and there are files we know nothing about and files we know maybe 50% of. It's optimized for the PS3, and that makes it difficult to work with. It's nice to get something working, but getting there just takes so damn long. Building our own game from the ground up will give us much more freedom, we can make whatever maps we want, whatever clothes we want, whatever music we want, whichever unique characters we want, whichever weapons we want, etc.

Another thing that I want to have not be an issue is accessibility. I know there are quite a lot of people who don't have the money to buy or hack their PS3, people that think it's too much work to make it worth doing, some people don't have PS3 at all. I want it to be as simple as possible to be able to play. I know a majority of people have a PC, not necessarily a gaming PC, but a PC nonetheless. I want to eventually have low requirements for playing, maybe it won't look as pretty, but you will be able to play (hopefully at a good framerate). PS3 support isn't really an option right now, but I do want to try and get it on there in the future (keep reading).

I'm not certain how the population is going to be after MGO3 comes out either, I know there are some people that will continue to play MGO2, but I don't know how long it's going to last. This isn't going to be more like MGO3 either, I'm hoping I can capture the essence of MGO2 and keep all of it's key elements in there. It's going to be different on purpose. Maybe if we're lucky enough, it will be bigger than MGO3. :lol:

I'm not giving up on MGO2 either, but it's hard to work on, and I want to turn it into something better.

Anyways, right now I'm in early development stage. What I would really like is some people who have some decent programming knowledge, preferably in Java, to get the ball rolling. If you think you are fit (or maybe you're not too sure), or know someone who is, let me know. If you think you can help out with something else, perhaps map making or models, let me know as well, but it might be a while until I could use your efforts.

Other than that, let me know what you guys think about this. Would you be interested in playing this once it's in a good playable state? Would you play a lot? Do you play MGO2 a lot? What don't you like about MGO2, perhaps? Any comments, suggestions? I'm eager to hear them.
Obey My Ego
Character: Status
Unit: KGB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Project Foxhound: MGO2 Remake (In-Dev)

Postby Obey My Ego » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 pm

I rarely play anymore. But would play if its some what like Mgo2
Adeel
Unit: GRU
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Adeel » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:07 am

When it will release? Pics? Vids? hello?
Adeel

Postby Adeel » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:35 am

i am eager to be GM in MGO2 Remake pls
sonomamashine

Postby sonomamashine » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:04 am

You need a team you can't do it by yourself, I don't see that happening it would take ages to make and people will surely forget that savemgo website even exist / a mgo2 portage would be nice tho (MGO3 is shit)
I like the idea and the effort I hope you make it but keep in mind if you work very hard you gonna somehow make it (this is a universal law) good luck
-Sorry for my eng
A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
Vamp
Tarantula
Character: Vamp, Odrax

Postby Vamp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:28 am

I took a small (3+ month) break from MGO2 but i'm back and plan on playing as long as the servers are up. I don't have much free time and like most, will be playing mostly TPP for the next year or so but will still be coming back to MGO2 to get my TSNE fix.
As for Project Foxhound, it sounds like a great idea with a lot of potential if you keep in tact the essence of MGO2 that everyone here knows and loves.
If you make it a computer game i believe you could get large numbers of people playing, even more than MGO2 now has because no downgrading/jailbreaking would be required which is the only hurdle that people are too scared of jumping.
I'm not proficient in any programming language so I can't help with that but I (and others too) could post signs in their college of technology at their universities and spread the word to fellow programmers. I've met many mgs/mgo players that might jump at the idea. Just a thought, good luck!
Obey My Ego
Unit: KGB

Postby Obey My Ego » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

Why is sonomamshine still posting here? He doesn't even play mgo. Your opinion doesn't count.
tedraney
Character: TheBloodyGlove

Postby tedraney » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:21 pm

I am totally down for this idea GHZ. I have experience with cinema 4d and converting models/textures I am not much help in the programming but if you wanted a mapper I could do that. I always thought it would be awesome to have a VR Mode set of maps and that would be easy to do in a sense of geometry. I can also do graphics such as menus and fonts/video and also i have about 25.3 gb in sound effects even though the original ones are still awesome even if its the same screams over and over again ill keep an eye on this thread for more details and you can PM me if you are looking for something specific
Check out my films at my youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheZBEntertainment
Jmizzle
Jaws
Character: BRIIGHT

Postby Jmizzle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:57 am

Why not use something like UnrealEngine that has most of the hard work done for you.
GHzGangster
Chameleon

Postby GHzGangster » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm

PrimeObjective
Character: PrimeObjective

Postby PrimeObjective » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 am

Cool Idea. But for me I will never play on PC since I just don´t like PC´s lol I´m a die hard Console player.
I think the most MGO2 player are Console lovers and don´t wanna switch to PC

Is this project even possible ? This sounds like years of work in my ears... :?:
I think the amount of players depends on how MGO3 will be.
If it sucks we all stick with MGO2 for the rest of our lives :lol:

Oh and the only thing that really pisses me of the most on MGO is the unfainess of shot reg !
MGO is ALL about who have better reg and sponge more :x
Uhhhhhh give me a sec...
kaka09

Postby kaka09 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:04 pm

GHZ,

I'm interested. I can code!!! more importantly, I can handle the algorithm, math/physics, and rendering stuff too! I'm excellent at c++ but also very good in java. I've experienced. organized codes and efficient is where I'm at.

Why I want to do this? I want some experience in working in team as my job is just me coding. :lol:
GHzGangster
Chameleon

Postby GHzGangster » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm

kaka09

Postby kaka09 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:19 pm

sonomamashine

Postby sonomamashine » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Just dropping a question how does it work you pay for the engine or just download it , is it the last unreal engine or the previous one , why not go for the fox engine is it not out yet or how are the terms you buy it you rent it or illegal download?
Yes I'm noob
A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.

Return to “Project Foxhound Discussion”